Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sexual harassment on the planet

(This post is actually older than it says, because I was all blotto[means outraged, incensed when I first wrote it and didn't want to blurt out something I would regret later. Now that I have thought about it I can say what I want to say without a doubt...and throw some shark teeth in to boot!)
I have watched North Country (great movie that daughter recommended) in the last week. It struck some raging cord in me that had me bawling by the end of it. The man, B., was fairly stunned by the emotional outpouring, I think, because of his pragmatic(?) approach to life. That is to say emotional responses to most stuff is not common with him, and when I am  hit like with that movie, he is truely mystified. [Not wanting to explain myself, I wish I could disappear into thin air and not then have to try to talk and cry at the same time.]
I was harassed on the job by my "boss" once and I told him he had better leave me alone in the bathroom I was cleaning or I would scream so loud it would break his eardrums. It backed him off, but the atmosphere where I worked became icy and wierd because of it.
I realize that is just a smidge of what women have experienced around the planet, and truely women are amazing that they don't go on eye gouging episodes of total insanity as a result of harassment, and often just suck it up...but I am weary of the fact that this is common behavior.

We have started to listen to the book that the movie was depicted from Class Action:the landmark case that changed sexual harassment law by Clara Bingham (and some other author.) I will have to do this over several sessions or face total depression I fear, which is big enough in January without the topic at hand!!

No comments:

Post a Comment